The entries in this chronolgy are presently being checked.
Some of the items in the source document used are suspect.
The following jump points are provided :-
1500 - 1600
- 1086 - Rocheberie in Domesday Book
- 1140 - First mention of parish church of St Andrew
- 'Castle' built north of church by Sir Henry Rokeby
- 1157 - Castle demolished on order of Henry II
- 1221 - Simon the Decon - first recorded priest
- 1255 - Market Charter granted on 8th July by Henry III
to Sir Henry de Rokeby. Weekly market on Saturday's
and yearly fair on 9th-11th August.
- 1298 - Church re-dedicated to Pope Nicholas IV.
- Church assessed at £5 per year.
- 1327 - Manor of Rugby granted right to hold a Court Leet
- 1349 - Ralph, Lord Stafford purchased manor and advowson.
- 1350-1400 - West Tower and 4 North Aisle arches added to church
- 1477 - Advowson sold to Henry Stafford, 1st Duke of Buckingham
- 1482 - Manor in Dower of widow of Henry Stafford
- 1485 - Manor granted to Countess of Richmond by Crown.
- 1509 - Manor owned by Sir Gilbert Talboys
- 1510 - Lawrence Sherriffe born
- 1558 - Charity created to help repair the Avon Bridge.
- 1560 - Manor and advowson sold by Lady Elizabeth Dudley
to John Wryley
- 1562 - Rugby contained 69 houses.
- 1567 - Lawrence Sherriffe dies and leaves London estate
to fund Grammar School and Almshouses.
- 1594 - Manor and avowson sold to Richard Burnabye for £2100.
- 1620 - Start of surviving parish registers.
- 1634 - Two serious fires and an epidemic occured in town.
- 1642,1645 - Civil War forces passed through Rugby.
- 1662 - George Inn built in Market Place.
- 1663 - Silver chalice presented to church - inscribed 'Rookby'
- Hearth tax applied to 94 of the towns 213 hearths.
- 1690 - William II stayed at Manor House on route to Ireland.
- 1707 - Richard Elborowe died and founded school and almshouses.
- Severe Smallpox epidemic
- 1719 - Serious fire in the town
- 1730 - Town had 183 houses
- 1738 - More fires in the town
- 1740 - Rugby School moved from Church Street to present site.
- 1750 - New School House errected at Rugby School
- 1767 - 6th Lord Craven bought advowson and church re-pewed
- 1773 - Rugby fields enclosed by Act of Parliament
- 1781 - Captain Donellan hanged for murder of Sir T.A. Boughton
- 1783 - Last of 4 extra alms houses built on old school site
- 1787 - Bridge at Avon Mill re-built at a cost of £284
- 1791 - William Butlin, Draper & Banker died aged 61
- 1792 - New church organ obtained for £395 2s 3d
- 1796 - The windmill in Windmill Road burnt down
- 1797 - South Aisle of Church enlarged
- 1800 - Abraham Caldecott became Lord of the Manor of Rugby
- 1801 - Census - Rugby had population of 1487 and 278 houses
- 1803 - Old Manor house demolished for new school house
- 1809 - Baptist Church built in Castle Street.
- 1811 - Census - Rugby had population of 1805 and 319 houses
- 1814 - Rugby School start holding services at school instead
of going to parish church.
- 1816 - Pillory moved to near the George Inn in Market Place
- 1818 - Union Workhouse built to house 180 people in
Lower Hillmorton Road.
- 1820 - Rugby School Chapel completed
- 1821 - Census - Rugby had population of 2300
- Wesleyan Chapel erected in Chapel Street
- 1823 - William Webb Ellis probably picked up the ball
- 1825 - John Moultrie,M.A. became Rector of Rugby
- 1826 - Abraham Caldecott died
- 1828 - Rugby Gas and Coke Company founded.
- Dr Thomas Arnold appointed headmaster of Rugby School
- 1830 - Caldecott ( later Trinity ) Schools built
- London to Birmingham Railway first proposed
- 1831 - Census - Rugby had a population of 2501
- 1832 - Cholera epidemic
- 1833 - Henry Giffney's map of Rugby at 2" per mile
- 1834 - Old 304ft contour canal replaced by improved main route.
- 1835 - Footpaths of main streets paved
- 1837 - Street lamp posts erected in the town
- 1838 - London & Birmingham Railway opens. Rugby's first station
is at the bridge in Newbold Road.
- 1840 - Midland Counties Railway opened and Rugby becomes a
junction. New station built at bottom of what became
- 1841 - Census - Rugby had a population of 4008 and 759 houses.
- 1842 - Dr Arnold, Head of Rugby School, dies.
- William Tait sets up printing press
- 1843 - Cricket Club founded in Bilton Road
- 1844 - St Matthew's Church was built and a day school for infants
opened in Pennington Street.
- 1846 - W. Tait publishes first edition of 'Rugby Advertiser'
- 1847 - St Maries catholic church built
- 1848 - Rugby Local Board of Health established
- 1849 - Wesleyan Day School opened in Chapel Street.
- 1851 - Census - Rugby had a population of 6866 and 1185 houses.
- Water tower and works built in Barby Road.
- Ordnance Survey large scale town plan produced
by Captain Beatty
- 1854 - Holy Trinity Church opened.
- 1856 - Richard Elbrows school and alms houses moved to North St.
- 1857 - Town Hall ( & indoor market) opened in High Street
- 1858 - Butlin's Almshouses founded in Stephen Street
for 6 women aged over 60.
- 1861 - Census - Rugby had a population of 7818 and 1417 houses.
- 1862 - Rugby Co-Operative Society founded
- 1863 - Rugby Water Works Act obtained. Works in Mill Lane
started to take water from the River Avon.
- 1865 - Rugby Portland Cement Company formed by G.H. Walker
- 1867 - Congregational Church built in Albert Street.
- 1869 - Methodist Church opened in Market Place
- Nursing home opened with 6 beds in Pennington Street.
- Market rights transfered from Lord of Manor to
Local Board of Health
- 1870 - Church stopped ringing the Curfew bell at 5am and 8pm
- First Co-operative Society store opened in Chapel Street.
- Turnpike trusts disbanded and toll gates removed.
- 1871 - Census - Rugby had a population of 8385 and 1527 houses.
- 1872 - Nursing home moves to Castle Street and becomes
Rugby Hospital and Nursing Home.
- 200ft spire and tower added to St Maries Catholic Church.
- 1873 - Cattle market moves from Sheep Street to field now
used as Whitehall Road Recreation Ground.
- 1874 - Small Pox outbreak
- Isolation hospital built in Barby Road.
- Rev J. Moultire MA died from Small Pox after helping sick.
- 1875 - Volunteer Fire Brigade formed.
- 1877 - St Andrew's parish church rebuilt to Butterfield design.
- 1878 - Lawrence Sheriff Lower School opened under terms of
Rugby School Act so main school could become fee paying.
- 1881 - Census - Rugby had a population of 9891 and 1851 houses.
- Railway line to Northampton opened
- 1882 - Hospital of St Cross started - opened in 1884
- Corset factory opened.
- 1886 - Present (3rd) LNWR Railway station opened.
- 1887 - Clock tower built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee
- 1891 - Public Library opened
- 1891 - Census - Rugby had a population of 11262 and 2367 houses.
- 1896 - Willan's Works established.
- Tower and Spire added to St Andrew's Church
- 1898 - Towns first telephone exchange opened in Lt. Church Street.
- 1899 - Great Central Railway and Station opens
- B.T.H. buy first plot of land.
- 1901 - Census - Rugby had a population of 16830 and 3504 houses.
- 1902 - B.T.H. start production at Mill Road site.
- 1909 - King Edward VII visit to town to open Temple Speech Room
at Rugby School.
- 1910 - Prince of Wales Theatre opened in Railway Terrace
- 1911 - Census - Rugby had a population of 21758
- 1916 - Lodge Plug factory built in St Peter's Road
- 1920 - Rugby Day Continuation School founded
- on Rugby College Site
- 1921 - Census - Rugby had a population of 25088
- 1925 - Percival Guildhouse ( adult education centre ) founded
- 1927 - Rugby High School for Girls moves to Clifton Road.
- 1931 - Census - Rugby had a population of 35100, in larger area
- 1932 - Rugby Borough formed with Wed 19th October
being Charter day.
- 1951 - Census - Rugby had a population of 45428
- 1956 - Corset factory switched to making modern underware
- 1961 - Census - Rugby had a population of 51651
- Lawrence Sheriff Alms Houses replaced on new site
- 1962 - Old Midland main railway line to Leicester closed
- 1965 - Rugby railway locomotive shed closed
- 1966 - Great Central Railway closed south of Rugby
- 1969 - Great Central Railway closed totally.
- 1971 - Census - Rugby had a population of 59372
- 1992 - Corset factory closed ( had been making swimsuits )
top of page / home page
© 2004 Rugby Local History Research Group
[ Version B1 31/01/04 ]