Images of BTH

These pages contain photographs of the British Thomson Houston Works that stretched between Mill Road, Leicester Road, Boughton Road and the London to Birmingham main railway line.

Railway Frontage

view west from Black Path 'Wooden' Bridge Click here for large version 84k

In the 1930's the buildings on the left produced domestic white goods, in the middle was the foundry and the Control Gear factory was in the last building.

The GEC sign on the high rise section of the foundry was the last version of a series of illuminated signs. The first had British Thomson Houston in full across both buildings, hence the very large framework. During the 1960's this was reeplaced with an AEI insignia and Rugby.

Power House (Building 9)

view across carpark Click here for large version 84k

The original 1902 engine room is the long building with tall arched windows. Behind are two extension boiler houses. The power house supplied electricity and steam to the works. A steam whistle also used to be sounded on the roof at shift changes until the mid 1980's.

The wedge shaped structures behind the cars are entrance stairs to air raid shelters from WW2.

The works also supplied electricity to the towns street lights, until the 1920's, when a public utility supply arrived in the town.

Research Laboratory

view of Building 24 Click here for large version 84k

The tall buliding at the back of this photograph is Building 52, the research laboratory purpose built in 1924. It reamined as such until replaced by the new AEI lab building on Boughton Road, (BR57).

It was here in 1947 that Dennis Gabor invented the hologram.


Copyright Statement

The contents of these pages are Copyright 2000 Rugby Local History Research Group and contributors.

Copying of the material for private study or for use within an educational establishment is allowed.

Writen permission should be obtained from the Group for any commercial use or before any re-publication to the general public.


home page


© 2004 Chris Hicks & Rugby Local History Research Group
[ Version B1 31/01/2004 ]